Physical Education (PE)
“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” Michael Jordan.
What Ofsted say about our PE at St Paul's Catholic Primary School, VA.
"Pupils are encouraged and supported to lead healthy lives. Regular fitness lessons throughout the week help to keep pupils active. A growing range of clubs allows pupils to take part in sporting and non sporting activities after school." (Ofsted S5 Inspection Report November 2021)
At St Paul's we love PE! We encourage all the children to be as active as possible through not just our curriculum lessons but also through a wide range of extra-curricular activities. We are well supported by Ellis Pascall who provides weekly coaching from the Leeds Rhinos Foundation, The Northern Arts Factory, The Active Schools Programme and numerous other sports coaches and Federations. It is wonderful to see how the children develop their physical skills and then apply these to the numerous sporting competitions and festivals that we take part in.
We have house team competitions at lunch time, a variety of free after school clubs, regular sporting festivals and various competitions against other schools (including four school football teams). In addition to this, we have our very own dedicated Health Week each year that encourages participation, enjoyment and Health Education to all. Our traditional Sports Day in the Summer term celebrates our children's athletic ability. (As well as our parents and toddlers!)
Please have a look at some of the activities we have done recently below!
- Active Schools We work closely with the Active Schools team to offer a wide range of services to our children and families.
- Northern Arts Factory We work closely with Sally and Anne to develop our dance, drama and theatre skills in school.
- Skipping School We have worked with Skipping School for nearly 10 years and are proud to be recognised as a Leeds partnership school.
- Yorkshire Cricket We have worked with Yorkshire Cricket to develop young cricketers in our area. We enter the National Schools Tournament annually.
- Leeds Schools Football We support the Leeds Schools Football Organisation. We have 4 teams in school and enter all Leagues and Cup Competitions. Our Girl's team have consistently been in the top 10% of teams locally for 3 years. The U10's Boy's team won the Moran Cup in 2019.
Key Stage 1 Sports Day
Last week we enjoyed a brilliant sports day on our school field, with parents attending (socially distanced of course!). Well done to all the children involved!
William has successfully completed his 56 mile challenge, running at least 2 miles every day in February! What an achievement! In the process, he raised an incredible £2035 for Cancer Research. Well done William!
Super League Launch 2020
We were lucky enough to be invited to the launch of the 2020 Super League at Emerald Headingley Stadium. We met the captains of all the teams and took part in a tag-rugby festival. What a great day!
We went to a Y4 netball festival organised by the Leeds Rhinos foundation. Have a look at us in action!
We love Sports Day each year, normally held to coincide with St Peter and St Paul's feast day. Our 4 house teams compete to try to be the best - but its really all about having fun!
PE Funding Report 2020/2021